Thursday, January 15, 2004

Give me my burger WITH the bun, please...



Wow, the Atkins craze is really making inroads into the fast food industry! AP reports today that Burger King is rolling out its breadless Whoppers this week. It's seen as a nod to the low-carb craze that's sweeping the nation.

Apparently, Hardee's and Carl's Junior have already debuted burgers wrapped in lettuce instead of bread, and TGI Friday's has a bunless cheeseburger. No word yet from McDonald's or Wendy's.

This is going to be great for people who are on the Atkins or similar low-carb diets. Personally, I've tried that type of dieting, and it just doesn't work for me. I rebel against a diet that totally forbids any one kind of food. I have better luck with a Weight Watchers approach to eating...more of a moderation-in-ALL-things idea.

I guess I would rather have my Whopper (or Whopper Junior) with bread at lunchtime, even if it means I have to sacrifice for the rest of the day. Let me enjoy it to the fullest!

That said...I have no problem with "baked" chips, and I would definitely try the low-carb chips that snack giant Frito-Lay is planning to introduce in May. The new Tostitos Edge and Doritos Edge chips are made with soy proteins and have more fiber than the usual variety.

I do know people who have had fantastic results on Atkins-type plans, and I'm truly happy for them. Whatever works for you.

Anyway, I think we all know that the old "eat less, exercise more" adage is the only tried and true method of weight loss. And it requires sacrifice and discipline.

Now if I could only get serious about exercising!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails