Monday, January 19, 2004

Have you ever just...walked out?




I walked out of a nail salon on Saturday...and I don't regret it.

OK, it all started in Boise, when I got my nails done for the wedding. You've got to understand, my fingernails are an ongoing issue with me. For years, I bit them. Just bit them right down to the quick. Then I decided to grow them out for my wedding (yes, 25 years ago), and from there on out, I've had a love-hate relationship with them.

Once I decide to grow them out, I'm fine. If they wander anywhere near my mouth, I make a conscious decision to keep them AWAY, and before you know it, they're growing. I immediately start pampering them. Nightly cuticle-pushing-back while in the tub. Frequent shapings with an emery board, even when there's just a sliver of white to shape. Then the polishings, with things like Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails. Soon I have a lovely set of fingernails.

That's when everything starts to fall apart.

I'll be out somewhere without an emery board in sight, and I'll break a nail. I'm left with all these ragged edges, which I try (futilely, of course) to repair with my teeth. It's all downhill from there, and more often than not, I decide to just bite them all off and start over from (no pun intended) scratch.

When the wedding rolled around, my nails were in a confused state of some long, some short. I longed for graceful and elegant nails, so I did something I've only done once before in my life...got fake nails.

I simply walked into a nail salon in Boise. The salon was clean, shiny,and bright. The Asian girl who did my nails was perky, friendly, professional and confident. I walked out with gorgeous nails! I felt marvelous.

Well, the girl had told me that I needed to get a "fill" in about two weeks. I made an appointment at a nail salon not too far from where I live, sight unseen, but the price was right.

My first misgiving was that the place just didn't seem as clean and shiny as the other one. The carpet was dirty, the towels draped on the pedicure chairs had spots on them...it was just an overall feeling of slight dinginess.

Then, although my appointment was at 3 o'clock, I was still waiting at 3:23. What was this, a doctor's office?

Have you ever been somewhere...a restaurant, a meeting, a professional appointment, whatever....where you just can't imagine staying? where you just get the strong sense that you don't want to be here, and you're going to leave? Well, I was definitely getting that message.

The deciding factor was when I looked up at a sign that said "No checks--cash only." Good excuse...I didn't have cash.

I made my apologies and walked out.

So what about my nails? Well, they're starting to do that weird thing where the nail is growing out and looking a little clunky. I guess I'll just keep them until they start to break off, leaving my own weak and fragile little nails exposed.

Then, of course, I'll start all over again.


Lyric o' The Day

From MercyMe:

Word of God Speak

I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay
The last thing I need is to be heard
But to hear what You would say

[Chorus]
Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness
Word of God speak

I'm finding myself in the midst of You
Beyond the music, beyond the noise
All that I need is to be with You
And in the quiet hear Your voice

[Repeat Chorus Twice]

I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails